Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dancing in the Rain or Rain Dancing?

Dancing in the rain is something I always wanted to do as a little girl. Of course this never happened because my mother is a strong believer in the fact that rain will make you sick no matter what. Once I was old enough to make these decisions on my own, I decided it was time to dance. I waited until it was raining so hard outside you could hear barks and meows. Once I was out there I let it all out. All those years of built up frustration because I couldn't go out, was now being let out in this instant. I hate to say it, but my mom was right. I did get sick. Not for a day or two, but for a week. It wasn't fun. Let's just say that I won't be doing that again any time soon. 
Recently though it feels like I've been doing more rain dances, then actually wanting to dance in the rain. Don't think I don't like rain, I do. Especially with a good book and some hot chocolate. But every day, when I worked at Camp Pookie it seemed like me and my fellow counselors would dance for rain everyday. This is because of a much bigger problem.
Working at a camp and having to counsel a group of 24 girls (the biggest group in the ENTIRE camp might I add) is not exactly fun. Sure the first day their cute and you want to hug them and everything, but after a while they become characters, smart mouths, and completely crazy. That's what you get for letting your guard down around nine year olds. The most dreaded part of a camp counselor's day is pool time. A full hour at the pool where all you can achieve is a fabulous farmer's tan, with 24 children all trying to drown you because when you yell at them they think it's funny. So, everyday all the counselors would pray to the sky gods for some rain so that we wouldn't have to go to the pool. 
Of course, when you want something to happen it doesn't. That's Murphy's Law. That summer I went to the pool more times then you can say "I love getting presents" (which I do, just by the way) and it was horrible. Luckily for me, and not so luckily for others, my hair is straight, which means that it dries the exact same way it was before it got wet. People resented me for that, and so the blonde-straight hair jokes continue, but c'est la vi. 
Here is your Dancing in the Rain blonde joke:


  There was a blonde who found herself sitting next to a Lawyer on an airplane. The lawyer just kept bugging the blonde wanting her to play a game of intelligence.
Finally, the lawyer offered her 10 to 1 odds, and said every time the blonde could not answer one of his questions, she owed him $5, but every time he could not answer hers, he'd give her $50.00. The lawyer figured he could not lose, and the blonde reluctantly accepted.
The lawyer first asked, "What is the distance between the Earth and the nearest star?"
Without saying a word the blonde handed him $5. Then the blonde asked, "What goes up a hill with 3 legs and comes back down the hill with 4 legs?"
Well, the lawyer looked puzzled. He took several hours, looking up everything he could on his laptop and even placing numerous air-to-ground phone calls trying to find the answer. Finally, angry and frustrated, he gave up and paid the blonde $50.00
The blonde put the $50 into her purse without comment, but the lawyer insisted, "What is the answer to your question?"
Without saying a word, the blonde handed him $5.
Now, I don't really now how that was a blonde joke considering that that blonde was very clever. Almost as clever as I am. 

7 comments:

  1. haha. I love the topic. I love dancing in the rain. I spent a lot of my childhood dancing in the rain, and yes I got sick a few times, but honestly... It was totally worth it. =) I have never, however, done a rain dance. I have asked for rain and every time I have been granted. I love the blonde joke, well more that it is a kind of failure of blonde joke. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha momies know whats best! Rain is good, joke is great! and kids are crazy! :) "You can only achieve a farmers tan" NOOOIIIIICCCCEEEEEE :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story, joke is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great topic...well said. Your writing voice is different from your speaking voice. I like them both! :-) Great joke too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story! Yes little kids do get very annoying after that much time with them. I LOVE the blonde joke by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this a while ago and forgot to comment on this. I really enjoyed rain dancing with you the other day. I felt the same way at my camp. I worked with little kids this summer, and everyday it was either I hoped that one of the kids pooped in the pool so I wouldn't have to swim, or a thunderstorm...because of course if it was pouring out we would still have to swim. By the way, I love the joke. Very good writing, and very relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Urgh. I hate it when moms get in the way of fun >.<

    Good book + rain + hot chocolate = perfect.

    ReplyDelete