Monday, November 15, 2010

Self-Consciousness


Nobody wants to feel self-conscious, but unfortunately it happens to everyone. If someone tells you it has never happened to them, well sorry but they’re lying. I will admit that it is pretty hard to embarrass me, but that doesn’t mean that every single moment I am okay with how I look or don’t feel bad about myself. Honestly, I wish I never feel like that, but it happens and I have to deal with it.
       I think the best way to deal with it is to not think about it. If you don’t think about it, then you’ll probably forget about it. But sometimes that doesn’t work and you’ll have to resort to plan B. Plan B usually involves several complicated actions that involve lots of make-up (if you’re a girl) and a strategically picked outfit, along with some very loving friends. Usually being around the people that make you happiest will give you the greatest amount of pleasure.
       I feel like people feel most self-conscious when they are around people that don’t know them or don’t care about them.
Let’s play Would You Rather really quick.
Would you rather…
A) Hang out with your friends, go to the movies or the beach?
OR
B) Be at school sitting in a class with a bunch of people you aren’t close with?
I can pretty much guess which you’re going to choose.
I think now is the appropriate time for a segue…
School.
This is where all the self-consciousness begins. School was made to be a place of learning but it has quickly turned into a place of judgment. How many times have you thought to yourself, “Man I look so bad today, I really hope no one notices”, and the whole day you feel like everyone is staring at you? I’ve had those days and you probably have also. But it all comes down to school. School is where you see your friends, some close friends and some friends that you have just to get through the day in one piece. There are also all the clichéd school people: the lunch lady, the bully, the class clown. But honestly, I don’t really think many people pay much attention to what they should be. Seeing people being made fun of isn’t supposed to make you laugh. If you’re laughing then you’re a follower, and that’s really sad. I don’t mean laughing at a friends joke about him/herself or a funny joke that someone told you. I mean laughing at the expense of someone else, someone who isn’t your friend. Having to see this everyday is not fun, especially if you are the butt of the jokes. But it also hurts when the person is your friend, or just an innocent bystander. Maybe it’s just me, maybe I’m just too sensitive when it comes to bullying, but in the end it still embarrasses me. At the beginning of this blog I said that it is pretty hard to embarrass me, but the one way that will work every time is if you stand there and embarrass someone else.
Here is your self-conscious blonde joke to lighten the mood a little bit (girls don’t be mad at me this one is for the boys) :
Three blondes were walking through the desert when they found a magic genie’s lamp.
After rubbing the lamp to make the genie appear, The Genie said, “I will grant three wishes, one for each of you.”
The first said, “I wish I were smarter.”
So, she became a redhead.
The second blonde said, “I wish I were smarter than she is.”
She became a brunette.
The third blond ordered, “I wish I were smarter than both of them!”
So, she became a man.

4 comments:

  1. I like this a lot. I think it is a very good topic, and I think you really hit the nail on the head. It is something everyone could relate to. And I like the joke. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self-consciousness can be paralyzing, but I guess we have to learn to deal with it.

    P.S. That joke reminds me too much of James.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like the joke. :-) Men! lol

    I agree with you about the bullying--I detest bullies, and if it were legal, I would drop kick them off the school's roof. And I despise followers. They are weak, spineless excuses for human beings.

    Yes, we all have moments of self-conciosuness. I promise you, though, that as you get older, those moments are few and far between, If you know you are loved and affirmed by your family and friends, you will blossom with confidence. By the way, I don't think you ever have a bad appearance day. You always look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definetly agree with this blog. Sometimes that stuff is taken way to seriously.
    Nice blog

    ReplyDelete